Pre-War Gibson L-5 Owners' Club

 

 

 

contact us at info@prewargibsonl-5.com

Year shipped: 1925

Serial Number: 77410

Virzi Number:

Signed and dated by Lloyd Loar: December 1st 1924

 

Headstock: Both the neck and fingerboard have been replaced. Now with ‘Gibson’ script headstock logo (no ‘The’)

Neck/fingerboard: Replacement 19-fret fingerboard with wide block inlays from the third fret and a square end

Body: Maple back and sides, originally fitted with a Virzi but this has since been removed.

Hardware: Silver-plated wrap-over tailpiece, Super 400 style, non-original nickel-plated Grover tuners

 

Notes: The guitar now has a 'Gibson Inc.’ label (the Loar signature date confirmed by Joe Spann from Gibson’s records)

 

Joe adds: “According to the Gibson shipping ledgers this guitar was repaired twice at the factory. On 6th February 1940 the repaired guitar was returned to David Gauthier along with a banjo and some banjo parts.  The ledger notes that the case for the L-5 was "no good". Mr. Gauthier was a music teacher in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. On 11th July 1951 the re-repaired guitar was returned to Korzinek Music Shop in Manitowoc, Wisconsin.”

 

Pictures courtesy of Tim Johnson

FRONT BACK HEAD HEAD BACK LABEL bridge FON